We have had a busy month despite the ice day! I can’t believe that it is already February, 2018! I’ve shared some pictures below, but the majority of our work and pics are shared in Seesaw. Here are some of the things going on in GT:
- GT Report Cards were sent out this week for 2nd-5th grade GT students. Parents, please make sure you sign the bottom portion and send that back (along with their GT folder or composition book).
- There will be no GT classes February 6-9 as I will be in Austin at the TCEA conference presenting and learning.
- 1st Grade GT students are learning the continents. They have been using their coding skills to program the Dash robots to travel around the world during the “Dash for Treasure” challenge. They are also writing endings for the story.
- In 2nd Grade, the students are learning about man-made structures, and have spent the last couple of classes on bridges. They recently built paper bridges, and have learned that triangles are very strong shapes. In addition, they were introduced to Algebra with some math balance activities.
- The 3rd Grade GT students are working on their collaborative Genius Hour project about volcanoes, continuing to learn about Systems Thinking, and doing incredible Algebra word problems.
- 4th Grade GT just finished reading Tuck Everlasting, and made connections among the theme, characters, and symbols in the book using Hexagonal Learning. A couple of weeks ago, they applied what they have discussed about Ethics to some real court cases. They just started researching their Genius Hour projects, and also began a unit on Mathematical Masterpieces.
- In 5th Grade the students are continuing to read The Giver and made some real-world connections with some court cases in a unit called, “Always Watching.” They are also learning more about their strengths and aspirations by taking an assessment and courses in Thrively.