The 2nd graders finished up their bridge designs this week, and tested them out with our Dash robot. As you can see from one of the pictures, we put a little cushion underneath in case Dash did not make it across.
Unfortunately, Dash was not able to cross for either bridge design. However, the students reflected on their experiences and felt like they had learned a lot. Their designs went through many revisions, and they would probably have even better ideas for building the bridges if they had more time. We compared/contrasted their process to the real-life work that goes into building bridges – and we all decided we would need a lot more training and experience before we could design a real bridge!