Reading over the summer is very important! Research has shown that children who don’t read or read very little over the summer are significantly behind academically for the following school year as their friends who have continued to read. Use these programs to help encourage your children to find a new favorite author or even a favorite series this summer and ensure that they will be ready for 3rd grade and the STAAR next year!
Please take advantage of NEISD’s electronic library over the summer. Explore and check out the e-books and audiobooks available for FREE. All you need is your child’s ID number, then download the Overdrive Media App, and you are ready to go. For more information go to: http://neisd.lib.overdrive.com. Information was sent home with your child the week of May 13th!
Here are some reading programs that your child may like to participate in over the summer:
1. Half Price Books: Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program: http://www.hpb.com/fyb/
Earn Bookworm Bucks to use at Half Price books by reading at least 15 minutes each day during the months of June and July. Track your minutes by using the reading log found on their website. Also attend their Biggest Story Time of the Summer on June 2nd. More details on their website.
2. Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Imagination’s Destination: Read 8 books and write them down in the reading journal (click on link to download). Take completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between May 21st and September 3rd, 2013 to receive a FREE book!! http://img1.imagesbn.com/pimages/kids/summerreading/2013/bnsummertearpad.pdf
3. H –E-Buddy Summer Reading Club: http://www.hebuddy.com/content/pdf/readingclub.pdf
Read 10 books and receive a prize! Download the reading log from their website.
4. Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge: Read, Log Minutes, Earn Rewards
Log your reading minutes and read around the world this summer. Register for a chance to win cool prizes just by reading! Follow the link to register:
5. Chuck E. Cheese Reading Reward Calendar:
Download the reading reward calendar. Read everyday for 2 weeks and earn 10 FREE tokens. *Food purchase is required when redeemed.
6. Pizza Hut Book It Summer Reading Challenge: http://www.bookitprogram.com/summerbreak/challengesweeps.asp
Read 5 books between June 15th-August 15th and be eligible to enter for a chance to win a Diary of a Wimpy Kid summer fun prize package. Keep track of your reading minutes online. Click on the link above for more details.
7. San Antonio Public Library (SAPL) Summer Reading Program: http://www.mysapl.org/srp/
Sign up at any branch library or online beginning June 1, 2013.